Published April 2019
Bedford Local History Magazine.
The next edition (No. 103) will be published in October 2019, will feature an article by the Editor on the history of Goldington Highfields, including Jackman’s Farm, building on the successful “Putnoe” special edition published last October. A richly illustrated article by Christine Gibson will tell the story of the life and work of the Bedford architect, Albert Prosser (1870-1961). Most of us who live or work in De Parys ward, use Bedford Park, are familiar with houses designed by Albert Prosser. On Park Avenue, there’s The Dial House on the corner of St Augustine’s Road, opposite Bedford Park’s East Lodge, and, at the other end, No.14A with its Annex 14B, the odd-house-out on Park Avenue, standing alone between
Bedford School’s playing field and De Parys Avenue. On Devon Road, there’s No.1 with its
be-windowed and stepped chimney-stack and, on Putnoe Lane, The Chase House. But few of us today know
Albert Prosser’s name, let alone anything about him. There will also be reviews of recently published
books on local history. The Bedford Local History Magazine is free to members of BAALHS.
How to obtain copies of the Magazine.By Post, from Bob Ricketts, Editor, 68 Mendip Crescent, Bedford, MK41 9EP.
Please enclose cheque for £5 made payable to BAALHS (includes postage) and also
a forwarding address. Back issues are available.
Direct from the Eagle Bookshop,103 Castle Road Bedford, MK40 3QP